Chanting the mantras of the Vedas is a powerful tool of yoga to build confidence and self assurance. Clear communication is a key skill for today’s yoga teachers. Students need to be guided with clear, concise instructions, by a confident teacher who is respectful and friendly.
This presentation will introduce vedic chanting as a potent aspect of yoga to develop communication skills and confidence.
The session will include:
• A brief introduction to the origin and history of the Vedas.
• Benefits of chanting and how this occurs
• Rules of Vedic Chanting and their purpose
• Use of sound with movement as a tool of yoga
• Scientific findings relating to the beneficial effects of chanting.
The benefits of chanting include:
• Improved pronunciation through oral dexterity required for Sanskrit sounds
• Better listening skills. Call and response chanting engages the mind at a subtle level which has a profound effect on the structure of the mind, and in turn influences the elements of the body
• Strengthening of your voice as you chant develops familiarity with initiating different sounds
• Concentration. This ability is enhanced due to the focus required to listen and repeat accurately
• Improved memory as you listen carefully and repeat what you heard
• Improved confidence as you develop your knowledge and capacity for chanting
• Integration of body, voice, mind and emotion which creates resilience and inner strength
• Relief of stress and anxiety
Healing mantras will be taught to offer an experience of vedic chanting and share the meanings of those mantras. Mantras will be selected to link with positive qualities needed to reduce stress and anxiety and increase courage and confidence.
Linking with elements of nature or healing qualities of the deities helps to calm the mind and settle the emotions. The Sanskrit word for chanting is adhyayanam and this means to connect you with your heart. This sacred thread from your innermost being binds you emotionally to your voice. Chanting moves you closer to your inner self, your heart.
There is a fundamental connection between breath and sound. This session will explore how this occurs, from the original Sanskrit words and the action in our body together with the positive effect on our voice.
Debby has stories and personal reflections to share from her 12 years of experience with vedic chanting. This help to open up understanding of how the practice of chanting builds confidence. All yoga teachers and students can benefit from chanting in their daily lives.